[TOS] Textbook: Getting the Code IRC log

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Apr 15 02:43:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 09:21:25PM -0400, Ralph Morelli wrote:

> I think it would be great if there were resources ($$) to support more
> summer efforts.
> GSoC is great, but, as far as I understand it, faculty aren't involved in
> that so you don't really have the mediating necessary if we're going to
> bridge the gap
> between the FOSS development communities and our faculty colleagues and our
> classrooms.    Short of that, the best we can do is to follow Matt's example
> and look carefully and critically at our various pedagogical experiments
> until we
> come up with some techniques and approaches that work.

I've seen faculty as mentors through GSoC, but they do it from being
in the upstream FOSS project; Bart Massey and Joel Sherril come to
mind.

How could summer coding be done better for faculty?

We started Fedora Summer Coding this year:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_2010

We're jumpstarting our program a bit because it happened that Fedora
didn't get in to GSoC this year; our plans to "learn for one more
year" were suddenly changed. :) This gives us a chance to build from
their model, and do some things differently.

You all should probably be spreading the news about this to your
students; maybe I need a separate post about it, eh?

Thanks - Karsten