[TOS] Summer efforts (was: Re: Textbook: Getting the Code IRC log)

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Thu Apr 15 04:01:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 07:43:30PM -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 09:21:25PM -0400, Ralph Morelli wrote:
>
> > I think it would be great if there were resources ($$) to support more
> > summer efforts.
> > GSoC is great, but, as far as I understand it, faculty aren't involved in
> > that so you don't really have the mediating necessary if we're going to
> > bridge the gap
> > between the FOSS development communities and our faculty colleagues and our
> > classrooms.    Short of that, the best we can do is to follow Matt's example
> > and look carefully and critically at our various pedagogical experiments
> > until we
> > come up with some techniques and approaches that work.
>
> I've seen faculty as mentors through GSoC, but they do it from being
> in the upstream FOSS project; Bart Massey and Joel Sherril come to
> mind.

hi! me too!

(I also take out the trash, sweep the floors, and do any other odd job that
comes around; I'm ubiquitous that way.)

> How could summer coding be done better for faculty?

There's lots of grant money out there (NSF REU etc.) but "coding" != "research"
necessarily -- grant money is usually for research experiences, not explicitly
for working on software...

The Python Software Foundation is planning to run a high school program in
the near future, too, based on GHOP (Google Highly Open Participation).  We've
been thinking about how to do our own GSoC-style thing but GSoC is already
so much work that we're happy doing that for now.

cheers,
--titus
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu