[TOS] Summer efforts (was: Re: Textbook: Getting the Code IRC log)

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 12:28:11 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 07:43:30PM -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 09:21:25PM -0400, Ralph Morelli wrote:
> >
> > > I think it would be great if there were resources ($$) to support more
> > > summer efforts.
> > > GSoC is great, but, as far as I understand it, faculty aren't involved
> in
> > > that so you don't really have the mediating necessary if we're going to
> > > bridge the gap
> > > between the FOSS development communities and our faculty colleagues and
> our
> > > classrooms.    Short of that, the best we can do is to follow Matt's
> example
> > > and look carefully and critically at our various pedagogical
> experiments
> > > until we
> > > come up with some techniques and approaches that work.
> >
> > I've seen faculty as mentors through GSoC, but they do it from being
> > in the upstream FOSS project; Bart Massey and Joel Sherril come to
> > mind.
>
> hi! me too!
>
> (I also take out the trash, sweep the floors, and do any other odd job that
> comes around; I'm ubiquitous that way.)
>
> > How could summer coding be done better for faculty?
>
> There's lots of grant money out there (NSF REU etc.) but "coding" !=
> "research"
> necessarily -- grant money is usually for research experiences, not
> explicitly
> for working on software...
>
> FWIW we are doing the ground work to add SMP support to RTEMS.  It is
a large task and we would like to support multiple processor architectures
and have multiple schedulers from the beginning.  There is a GSoC student
who has implemented Earliest Deadline First for RTEMS and he is working
with me to define a pluggable scheduler interface.   I have done most of
the work to have an RTEMS Scheduler Simulator where the core parts of
RTEMS are compiled natively and you can script task actions.  So you can
test the logic of a scheduler without touching hardware.

We would love to have more students and academics involved. I know this
type of work is beyond an Intro to FOSS course but might make good summer
or research work.

I am trying very hard to partition the work many hands can contribute
in a positive manner.  So if anyone is interested, please email me.

--joel