[TOS] Summer efforts

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Thu Apr 15 21:37:14 UTC 2010

> way the team is prepped and maybe one or more "ambassdors" within the
> team who speak standard English and willing to serve as point people
> to handle tne basic noob questions and route questions that need
> expertise to the experts in the teams could go a long way to
> scaffolding the students and the profs.

Personally, one of the things I found *most* useful in working with
Matt's class at Allegheny in the past month was that Matt and Darren
were able to handle the basic newbie questions themselves, in the
classroom (very basic stuff like wiki/IRC usage, VM setup, etc).

These are the sorts of questions that all professors should be able to
answer after they've been through POSSE, in terms of general "how to
participate in FOSS" skills. That way, community members not from the
school will be able to spend their time answering newbie questions
specific to the project.

Matt also made *the* most gorgeous VM setup screencast ever - how to
build good scaffolding for novices is something open source communities
will need to learn more, if we hope to scale and be able to bring more
classes in.

--Mel