[TOS] "doing something cool with planetmath"

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Thu Aug 12 23:21:36 UTC 2010

Resurrecting an old thread:

> We briefly discussed the idea of a class related to PlanetMath.
> It's probably useful to clarify that there are two tracks to think
> about:
>
> (1) the mathematics side - producing useful content
> (2) the computing side - producing useful software
>
> As has always been the case at PlanetMath, iIdeally the people
> working on these two sides of the project would talk to each
> other.
>
> In a class setting, I think this might work out in the form of
> a class that was team-taught by someone in CS and someone
> in math.  Not strictly necessary, but it would be cool.
>
> Any thoughts or ideas about what I'll need to do to move this
> forward?

The first milestone is probably also the hardest one - find two faculty
(one math, one CS) willing to try teaching a class like that.
Alternatively, you could find a group of students who want to pursue it
as a group independent study, and some professors or TAs (depending on
your institutional requirements) to mentor it, and start drafting a
syllabus.

Basically, "what do I want this learning experience to be," and THEN
"how can I pitch this idea and position it within my institution so that
it counts for course credit?"

--Mel

PS: Cormac - hi! You may not remember me, but we met at Wikimania in
Taipei some years back, I took photos of your presentation on
Wikiversity. Glad to see you're still around the open education space!