[TOS] License question

Kevin Mark kevin.mark at verizon.net
Mon Aug 16 18:07:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:54:12PM -0400, Matthew Jadud wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Alice wrote a Java book, and Bob and I would like to wrap the code
> from the book for use on Android. That is, we'd like to convert the
> text-based assignments from the book into assignments with a GUI
> component that will run on Android-based mobile phones.
>
> The code is part of the book, so it is part of the "work." The author
> thinks this is great, and is happy with any kind of licensing scheme,
> including one that is completely open. However, the author already
> signed over their rights. The publisher is willing to give permission
> to use the code as long as it is not sold as part of some other
> product.
>
> What kind of statement should be at the top of this code? It is
> unlikely that the publisher will go all the way to releasing the code
> under an open license. Does anyone know of a license that would likely
> make the publisher happy? Using another book or taking a dogmatic
> approach ("GPL or nothing!") is not an acceptable path in this case.
>
> Many thanks,
> Matt
I used the CC license chooser on their site and I think this:
the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
would be it.
the author is Alice, the owner of the copyright is the publisher, the license
must be set by the publisher. They should look at other publishers of
programming text to see how they handle this situation.
--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|