[TOS] [[Practical OSS Exploration textbook]]

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Aug 19 16:25:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 09:08:58PM -0700, tosmaillist.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net wrote:
> Quaid (also known as Karsten),
>
> I noticed your "Summary" comments, "pulling in the 0.8 page for now
> via transclusion; need to think about what should be on this page or
> is it a redirect or what?"

Thanks for doing more thinking about it. :)

> May I suggest that there needs to be a [[Practical OSS Exploration
> Stable]] that is a redirect to the last release, which, at the present
> time, is [[Textbook Release 0.8]].
> There also needs to be another redirect page [[Practical OSS
> Exploration Development]], where "Development" is the alias for the
> version being improved, which, at the present time, would be
> [[Practical OSS Exploration 0.8.1]]. We have a page [[Textbook
> Roadmap]] that seems to have the appropriate links to the chapters
> that are available for modification to become [[Practical OSS
> Exploration 0.8.1]].  The table of links in [[Textbook Roadmap]] could
> be removed and a link to [[Practical OSS Exploration Development]]
> substituted.  Then we'd be set to make changes.

That makes sense to me.  One change I recommend is that we rename
[[Textbook Release 0.8]] to the name you suggested, [[P OSS E
stable]].  Renaming automatically creates a redirect.  (I'm also
making non-proper names/titles lower case, as is the MediaWiki
practice.)

I'm going to draw that here with some arrows, then one of us can make
it happen on the wiki.  For visual ease, I'll abbreviate "Practical
OSS Exploration" to "P OSS E" (which is visually confusing with our
"POSSE" acronym but not impossible to see around.)

Also, how about cleaning up the naming all around?

[[Textbook Release 0.8]] --_rename_--> [[P OSS E stable]]
[[P OSS E development]]  --_redir_-->  [[P OSS E 0.8.1]]
[[Textbook Roadmap]] 	 --_rename_--> [[P OSS E textbook roadmap]]

[[P OSS E textbook roadmap]] set of links either replaced with link to
[[P OSS E development]] or have the latter transcluded directly in to
the roadmap page.

- Karsten