[TOS] new chapters for Practical OSS Exploration textbook

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 23:50:32 UTC 2010

When we were at OSU talking about the 'Practical OSS Exploration'
textbook, Tim Budd made a comment that I paraphrase as: "This material
is good but there isn't enough to teach more than two weeks."

What's missing, as we discussed, is all the material that gives a more
full picture of participation in a FOSS community.  What we have right
now is very task oriented learning, so you could sit down and read
through/conduct the exercises within that few weeks.

What I imagine we need are topics that provide broader information and
invite discussion, contemplation, and thought change.  Such as:

* History - what are things like now and how did things get to be this
  way?

* Community cultures - different types of communities and how they
  interact.  Explanation of communities of practice.

* Open communities and diversity - there are significant disparities
  and non-trivial problems, some of what and why.

* Licensing the Code - concepts about copyright, copyleft, different
  types of licenses, and effects of those choices on the code and
  community.

* Threats and risks to and from FOSS - review of what can go wrong and
  consequences; what FUD is and how it's handled.  What people forget
  and do wrong all the time.

* Open for Business - Free software, open source software, and
  business.  Different business models around FOSS to the present.

* Who else practices the open source way - how open source has
  influenced other disciplines in terms of core principles (NOT using
  software but contribution cultures).

Sources for this content:  Wikipedia and other CC licensed sources;
theopensourceway.org; original content production.

Other ideas?  Expansions?

- Karsten