[TOS] new chapters for Practical OSS Exploration textbook

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Aug 26 01:15:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 09:20:59AM -0400, Heidi Ellis wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Other areas for addition to the text are aimed at the next level of
> contribution, once the developer gets up to speed on FOSS. These are along
> the lines of software engineering topics such as:
>
> Requirements - How do you determine the exact requirements of a feature or
> enhancement? How do you do this in an open environment where users may be
> developers and there may be conflict in desired functionality? How do you
> document these?
>
> Design - How do you determine the overall design of a project? How do you
> determine how your piece fits into the overall design? How do you document
> this? What are good design practices that result in good code?
>
> Test - How do you ensure that your patch/enhancement/bug fix is correct?
> Organized approaches to testing.
>
> These are topics that I'd like to talk about in my Software Engineering
> course that are not directly covered in the text.

I like them.  Again, unlike the get-active-in-a-community chapters
that might cover some of these topics, I clearly see the value in a
stand-alone, strategic discussion.

I compiled our list so far here:

http://www.teachingopensource.org/index.php/Textbook_Roadmap#Proposed_new_chapters

The titles got a bit of a rework, trying to get in to the theme of
chapter titles.

Too many topics?  Not enough?

I count 17 chapters that _could_ be enough for one week each chapter,
or two chapters per week, depending on class skill level.  Of course,
I just made that up ...

- Karsten