[TOS] Introduction

me aubreyja at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 13:43:50 UTC 2010

Hi Shiomi

> Nice. But why the erratic capital letters in the middle and end of the name?

The name itself comes from "homework."  Since it is on the web, they decided
to call it "webwork."  Very clever, right? :)  As for the
capitalization, I don't
remember the reasoning behind that.  (Although I'm sure I was once told.)
This may have been a primitive attempt at graphic design.  In any case, both
the name and its styling pre-date my involvement in the project.

> I see WeBWorK has a Freshmeat.net page:
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/openwebwork
>
> However, I don't see any releases there. You should also put it on
> http://www.ohloh.net/ and http://openhatch.org/ in case it's not there
> already.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check those out.  We do maintain a
sourceforge page where releases
are posted,

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openwebwork/

However, we strongly encourage users to get the code from svn.

> Is there any online demo for it?

Yes, first many of the live courses at

https://courses.webwork.maa.org/webwork2

support guest login where you can see essentially the student view, try some
live homework problems, etc.  Also, there is a demo course at

https://math.webwork.rochester.edu/webwork2/maa101

where you can login as a professor to see the instructor interface.  The course
is refreshed every night, so don't worry about breaking anything. You can log in
as profa with password profa, as profb with password profb, etc.  However, this
course is on a development server, and so some things may not work correctly.

Also, for any faculty out there (college, university, hs, etc) - if
you are interested
in obtaining a course site for use in one of your courses, contact me
off-list and
we may be able to find hosting for you.

Thanks,
Jason

PS: Shlomi, I notice you (or at least your email address) are based in
Israel. You
might be interested to know that we have at least one user in Israel.
A pressing
issue for us is localization/internationalization, and as we get more
interest from
non-English speaking regions, we hope to get a critical mass of people who can
work on that issue, do translations, etc.  This is something we know
very little about.