[TOS] Senior capstone/exercise in FOSS question

Clif Kussmaul clif at kussmaul.org
Fri Dec 10 19:41:13 UTC 2010

I've had good experiences with FOSS in capstone projects in a variety of
forms.
Here is a brief list of 4 models & some recent examples.
- integrate existing FOSS projects
  - added speech synthesis to instant messaging client
  - tried to integrate a content mgmt system with an ERP (business) system
- enhance a small FOSS project
  - 2 students worked on a library subject guide,
    in collaboration with library staff
- enhance or contribute a module to a large/complex FOSS project
  - developed new modules for Moodle
  - enhanced voting API in Drupal
  - proposed & designed enhancements to the Drupals Views system
- use FOSS to solve a problem (usually for a real customer)
  - designed & prototyped tutor management system using Drupal

In my experience, the challenge is getting the students started on the
projects,
and in the FOSS communities. I'm happy to discuss more if anyone is
interested.

I hadn't heard of UCOSP before either, but it looks intriguing...

Clif
---
Clif Kussmaul    clif at kussmaul.org    484-893-0255    EDT=GMT-5:00