[TOS] Proper Way to Cite a FOSS Project

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Feb 2 19:07:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 12:43:54PM -0500, Matthew Jadud wrote:

> I don't claim that any of these are authoritative, but this is the
> search procedure I go through when I'm trying to cite something like
> this. This might be one of those situations that if you don't tell
> your community what you want, then it will be difficult to track what
> your impact is. Providing them with a definitive citation will make it
> easier to track your impact in environments like the ACM digital
> library, CiteSeer, and so on.

Interestingly, your ideas and order sound like good fulfillments for
the attribution requirements of the Creative Commons BY licensing.

From http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ :

  Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by
  the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they
  endorse you or your use of the work).

- Karsten
uri:                  http://quaid.fedorapeople.org