[TOS] Textbook update

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Feb 9 16:28:26 UTC 2010

1. SCM chapter draft, and comments.

I spent almost a month on the Source Code Management chapter.  I was
trying to give an overview of the four major SCMs that I believed people
would run into: cvs, svn, git and hg.  After many long nights, I finally
decided that the approach was too confusing.  I also had a good look at
some other content out there, and much of it was way better than I could
have come up with.

Lesson: writing all your own content for a FOSS textbook, when other good
content exists and is freely licensed, is incredibly stupid.  A lesson I
learn and re-learn over and over.

Therefore, I decided to start over with the SCM chapter, and to focus on
one SCM: Subversion.  I stole liberally from the excellent free O'Reilly
svn book (with attribution, of course), taking the content I believe will
be best suited for a beginner, breaking it up and applying exercises to
each section.  I think the flow is *much* better, and I'm pleased with the
initial results.

I would consider the chapter 95% done.  The other 5% is a bit of cleanup,
and getting the exercises themselves correct -- which is going to require
us to put up a svn repository at TOS.  Chris Tyler has agreed to set this
up -- so Chris, I think we're gonna need this soon-ish.  :)

===

2. Other chapters, and help.

Writing content from scratch is slow, and hard work, and people are busy.

Editing and curating content that has already been written is somewhat
less slow, and somewhat less hard.  :)

Thus, here's the help I'd like for now:

a. If you're working on a chapter, keep working please, and let's see a
working draft and an estimate percentage complete, so we know where we
are.  I'd like to have a first draft of the entire book by Monday, March
1st -- which is 19 days from now.  If we can't get there, I at least want
to get close.

b. If you're not working on a chapter but have seen good openly licensed
content that might fit into a chapter, *please* give a heads-up.

===

3. Moving from FLOSS Manuals.

I believe it's time to move away from FLOSS Manuals.

Having worked extensively with the FLOSS Manuals infrastructure over the
last several weeks, I just don't feel like it adds enough value.  It's a
great tool for gathering writers to collaborate, especially writers who
like wysiwyg tools.  But I found it cumbersome, and more than once its
interface quirks lost hours of my work -- and since I prefer to do most of
my work offline anyway, it just wasn't adding that much value for me.
Having talked with some other authors who are running into similar issues,
I feel like it's best to just move the text onto TOS.  Most everyone who
would be contributing to this text knows MediaWiki markup, and there are
lots of tools to migrate from Mediawiki markup to Docbook or what have
you.  While it may not be perfect, I believe it's the right solution for
right now.

The chapter list that lives here:

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Textbook_Roadmap#TODO:_finish_First_Draft_of_every_chapter

...should now be considered authoritative.  Tridge, I see that you've been
working on the legal chapter, so we just need to figure out where to fit
that in.

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.