[TOS] Textbook update

Ross Gardler ross.gardler at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 9 17:06:00 UTC 2010

On 09/02/2010 16:28, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
 > > Lesson: writing all your own content for a FOSS textbook, when
other good
 > > content exists and is freely licensed, is incredibly stupid.  A
lesson I
 > > learn and re-learn over and over.
With that lesson in mind you might want to consider including content
from "What is version control? Why is it important for due diligence?"
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/versioncontrol.xml

This is a topic that is rarely covered in the technical books on SVN but
is very important in the open source world (apologies if you already
covered this).

 > > b. If you're not working on a chapter but have seen good openly
licensed
 > > content that might fit into a chapter, *please* give a heads-up.
Introduction to Free Software
http://ftacademy.org/materials/fsm/1#1

291 pages of goodness. I've not read it, only speed read. In my opinion
it has some problems (very biased towards free software, which will
please some, innacurate in many factual areas) however, it would seem to
make more sense to collaborate than duplicate.

I've been working with the people behind the Free Technology Academy in
a different context - they are good people (and are on this list).

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Textbook_Roadmap#TODO:_finish_First_Draft_of_every_chapter

 > > ...should now be considered authoritative.
Keep up the good work folks. If you have a specific need for high level
introductory materials for topics then drop me a mail (via this list),
we may have just the thing for you to include from our existing site.

Ross