[TOS] I'd like to plan a POSSE

rayb at apc.edu.ph rayb at apc.edu.ph
Wed Feb 24 05:58:39 UTC 2010

Hi, Magie,

I missed Herson on IRC so I thought I'd speak up here, to provide some input for further discussion.
----- Magie Antonio <magie at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hi Mel,
>
> Sorry for this late ping. We have been busy with the Automated Election
> System (AES) audit and with preparations for our Fedora Activity Day (FAD)
> on March 7, 2010.
Kudos to you guys for actively promoting FOSS here in Manila!

> As I mentioned in my previous email, Bluepoint Institute is collaborating
> with the University of the Philippines and the Ateneo de Manila University
> to hold a POSSE on the first week of June. Things will have (hopefully)
> settled down by then, assuming that the presidential elections are
> uneventful.
Good point about not wanting the event to coincide with the elections.  Regarding the venue, APC would have been more accessible to the target audience that I was contemplating.  However, we don't mind trekking to the wilds of Diliman 8^) if that's what it takes to participate in the POSSE.

> As per your suggestion, our topic areas of focus will be Open Source and
> Computer Science. Majority of our attendees from different colleges and
> universities are interested in teaching Open Source and integrating it
> into their CS curricula.
I think this is underspecified.  Are we talking programming languages? Computer algebra systems? CAD?  Prospective participants are entitled to more detail, I think.

As for participants in the Muscovado project, they are mostly new to Open Source and probably things like packaging and building distributions would be over their heads. Probably they would benefit most from sessions on using open source tools for collaboration over the 'Net, setting up a development environment for Sugar, Moodle and the XS, testing packages and reporting bugs,...whatever is needed to jump-start their participation in content development for Sugar.

> Herson is on the TOS list. He will be handling majority of the
> preparations for our June POSSE. I hope that we can schedule an IRC chat
> soon to sustain momentum.
I'll keep my ear to the ground 8^).

> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Regards,