[TOS] Thoughts on the NC clause for college textbooks?

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 17:23:27 UTC 2010

I'm curious what folks here think of the first 2 comments on this article:

http://opensource.com/education/10/2/flat-world-knowledge-open-college-textbooks-disrupting-traditional-textbook-publishin

The part of the discussion I found interesting was not so much the
article itself, but Karsten and Richard's comments on the NC clause in
FWK's licensing. Does the presence or absence of the NC clause actually
make a difference to you, in your classrooms, as you teach?

(For a short backstory on Karsten's stance,
http://freedomdefined.org/Definition is probably the best link to read -
it's an essay on why the NC clause is not truly "free.")

--Mel