[TOS] How to become a POSSE instructor

Greg DeKoenigbserg gdk at redhat.com
Sat Feb 27 11:24:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Matthew M. Burke wrote:

> Ok...the first time I sent this, I sent it directly to Mel, rather than
> the list, by mistake.  I've slightly edited it to take into account some
> feedback Mel sent me.
>
> Mel Chua wrote:
>> The general gist:
>>
>> 1) To become a POSSE instructor, you must first attend a POSSE yourself.
>>
>> 2) Then you co-teach a POSSE with a current instructor.
>>
> I can understand requirement 2.  I think co-teaching with somebody who
> has already taught a POSSE is important to gain an understanding of the
> target feel for the class.  The first requirement, however, seems to be
> unnecessarily restrictive---there are some faculty who already
> understand open source, know how to use a wiki, etc.

In theory, I agree with this sentiment.  In practice, I'm a little
hesitant -- but not too hesitant.

I think it's a little risky to have a new instructor teaching POSSE, but
having a veteran co-teaching mitigates that risk.  Anything that helps
with scaling the program, at this point, is something worth considering --
and it's clear that experienced instructors are one of the limiting
factors.

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.