[TOS] How to become a POSSE instructor

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Sat Feb 27 11:34:36 UTC 2010

>> How's this:
>>
>> 0) POSSEs are always taught by at least 2 instructors.
>> 1) To become a POSSE instructor, you co-teach a POSSE with a current
>> instructor. (In this case, you count as the second instructor.)
>> 2) In order to co-teach, you must either be a POSSE alumni, OR make the
>> case to your co-instructor that you have equivalent (or better)
>> background/skills in FOSS tools/communities, AND be the primary
>> organizer of the POSSE you co-teach at.
>>
>> Also: how would folks feel about requiring that at least one of the
>> instructors at a POSSE teach - or have taught - at the college level? I
>> think there's a lot of value in the professors-teaching-professors
>> model, but could be adding more structure than we actually need.
>
> I like all of these suggested modifications.

All right. If we implement all of these, does this block - or unblock -
anyone?

Things I can think of:

* Titus can co-teach now. :)
* The cost of holding a POSSE outside of North America has just dropped
dramatically (since all but one of our POSSE instructors is in either
the US or Canada - Harish is in Singapore).
* The first POSSE California is no longer a special case (Karsten's seen
2 POSSEs being planned and taught a section of the one in Singapore, but
hasn't attended a full one in person).
* POSSE California, if it goes for a second run with just Karsten and
Alolita, will have to find a professor to co-teach.

Overall, this seems like a net yea - especially if it encourages people
to get POSSEs together that might not otherwise happen. I'm going to
sleep on this for a day, and then if no objections have popped up in the
meantime, push it through.

--Mel