[TOS] POSSE meeting minutes 2010-07-06

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Wed Jul 7 05:44:59 UTC 2010

The short version is "whoa, to-do list." I've posted the "priorities"
section at the top of this email so folks can tell me if these are not,
in fact, the three most important things to target.

* POSSE priorities: what are our biggest problems to solve?  (mchua,
   19:55:46)
   * Scaleability of curriculum - what *is* the POSSE experience? Right
     now it's too dependent on me being there to improvise (too much,
     actually) through everything.  (mchua, 19:57:00)
   * Shortage of instructors - may want to rethink instructor criteria...
     ctyler pointed out at RIT that the important part is actually "must
     have taught open source participation" rather than "is a POSSE
     alumni" - the two are not necessarily the same thing, esp. right now
     (mchua, 19:57:38)
   * Lack of followup/support during the school year... what do
     professors need *after* POSSE? We're not keeping in touch very well
     to find out what we can do to help (we being the broader TOS/FOSS
     communities).  (mchua, 19:58:42)
   * (1) Curriculum re-articulation, and testing that during POSSE China
     (mchua, 20:04:12)
   * (2) Seeking out professors who *have* taught open source, and asking
     them if they are interested in instructing a 2011 POSSE - which will
     determine how many we can run, and with what FOSS
     communities/projects  (mchua, 20:04:57)
   * (3) Making sure we have a list of 2010-2011 school year game plans
     for all POSSE alumni who want to do something this school year
     (mchua, 20:05:40)

Meeting started by mchua at 19:01:16 UTC. The full logs are available at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teachingopensource/2010-07-06/posse_weekly_meeting.2010-07-06-19.01.log.html

Meeting summary
---------------
* Midsummer pause to assess where we are - what are the highest priority
   things to do for POSSE?  (mchua, 19:01:57)
* POSSE RIT and Worcester follow-up  (mchua, 19:05:44)
   * ACTION: mchua make sure finances (payments, expenses, etc) are taken
     care of  (mchua, 19:06:05)
   * ACTION: mchua pass through blogs, notes, etc. from POSSE RIT and
     Worcester and update their respective POSSE wiki pages into being an
     archive  (mchua, 19:06:54)
   * ACTION: mchua email each POSSE list wrt followup plans for
     individual professors  (mchua, 19:07:26)
   * ACTION: mchua and lmacken kick off Fedora Community FAD planning at
     RIT (October?)  (mchua, 19:07:39)
   * ACTION: mchua inquire about Worcester hackfest planning
     (Sugar-based?)  (mchua, 19:08:01)
   * ACTION: mchua summarize POSSE Worcester and RIT into an osdc/edu
     article  (mchua, 19:08:32)

* Upcoming POSSEs  (mchua, 19:08:58)
   * ACTION: mchua confirm visa, instructors for POSSE China  (mchua,
     19:09:55)
   * ACTION: mchua get applications, make attendees list for POSSE China,
     send out pre-POSSE account creation assignments  (mchua, 19:10:34)
   * One area of concern - it sounds like some applicants to POSSE China
     will need translation... I would *love* to have a Mandarin-speaking
     POSSE, but I do not think that our instructors can handle it well
     right now (i.e. Harish and I speak English). Particularly since the
     point of POSSE is community engagement, and the Chinese-speaking
     Fedora community is not very large, so that's a limited opportunity
     to participate.  (mchua, 19:11:53)
   * ACTION: mchua to address with POSSE China organizers the question of
     language/translation  (mchua, 19:12:53)
   * IDEA: aim for a Chinese-language POSSE next summer, and use the
     interim time to build a Chinese-speaking community with bilingual
     participants from this year's POSSE plus the existing Chinese
     community in Fedora  (mchua, 19:13:30)
   * LINK: https://fedorahosted.org/lingobot/   (mchua, 19:17:08)
   * ACTION: mchua check on POSSE Malaysia, Philippines, South Africa
     (mchua, 19:20:13)
   * ACTION: mchua start discussions on POSSE Pakistan and Dubai  (mchua,
     19:20:27)
   * ACTION: mchua and quaid reopen POSSE California discussion for
     Summer 2011  (mchua, 19:21:02)
   * ACTION: mchua talk with jadudm, mizmo about POSSE Design in Summer
     2011  (mchua, 19:21:15)
   * ACTION: mchua publish draft calendar for Summer 2011 POSSE planning
     (mchua, 19:22:10)
   * IDEA: Announce locations by January 2011, heavy publicity around
     SIGCSE (March 2011, iirc)  (mchua, 19:22:25)

* POSSE infrastructure  (mchua, 19:23:50)
   * ACTION: mchua and ianweller to design and prototype a registration
     system for POSSE next week  (mchua, 19:24:02)
   * ACTION: mchua write a POSSE planning checklist for upcoming POSSEs
     to use  (mchua, 19:24:13)

* POSSE curriculum  (mchua, 19:24:33)
   * For backstory, I was at a curriculum design workshop last week -
     most of the attendees were professors looking to change their
     curriculum in a specific way  (mchua, 19:25:01)
   * LINK: http://i2e2.olin.edu/summer2010/program.php   (mchua,
     19:25:05)
   * We got some very concrete feedback/guidance on curriculum design,
     and I also got a chance to see what a workshop for professors looks
     like (although apparently this one was far more interactive than
     usual; it tends to be more lecture-ish than what we experienced)
     (mchua, 19:25:34)
   * ACTION: JonathanD to get mchua in touch with friend with both
     China/US experience  (mchua, 19:31:09)
   * ACTION: mchua outline design thinking methodology she's putting the
     POSSE curriculum through  (mchua, 19:33:37)
   * There's a process for designing good learning experiences, just like
     there's a process for releasing good software... we should follow
     it!  (mchua, 19:34:05)
   * IDEA: get education students to look at the design of the POSSE
     curriculum itself to see whether we're meeting our stated learning
     objectives  (mchua, 19:35:54)
   * Workshop followup  (mchua, 19:37:13)

* Workshop followup  (mchua, 19:37:31)
   * The workshop gave us some concrete suggestions to immediately
     improve the program  (mchua, 19:37:50)
   * ACTION: mchua toss around the POSSE rocket pitch: read "Made To
     Stick" and apply it to the POSSE webpage  (mchua, 19:38:09)
   * ACTION: mchua ask who's coming to FIE and get together a TOS dinner
     there, bring POSSE design to toss around  (mchua, 19:38:41)
   * LINK: http://fie-conference.org/fie2010/   (mchua, 19:39:02)
   * IDEA: Think about grant applications for TOS activities and POSSE
     itself.  (mchua, 19:42:05)
   * ACTION: mchua write an open blog post asking what that process is
     like  (mchua, 19:42:14)
   * ACTION: mchua follow up thanking workshop attendees for their
     suggestions, asking if the patches were applied correctly, and if
     anyone is interested in a POSSE next summer :)  (mchua, 19:44:36)

* alumni followup  (mchua, 19:45:05)
   * ACTION: mchua list and follow up with each individual POSSE alumni
     on what their plans are for the school year - make class/project
     pairings  (mchua, 19:45:29)
   * ACTION: mchua think about what we should do with TOS funding
     (mchua, 19:48:08)
   * we have $8k of budget for TOS, how do we want to manage it and what
     do we want to use it on? sort of out of scope for the POSSE meeting,
     but infrastructure (hosting) is one thing POSSE needs  (mchua,
     19:48:45)
   * ACTION: mchua and Jeff_S talk about TOS hosting during OSCON-ish
     (mchua, 19:54:36)

Meeting ended at 20:07:33 UTC.

Action Items
------------
[...]

Action Items, by person
-----------------------
* Jeff_S
   * mchua and Jeff_S talk about TOS hosting during OSCON-ish
* JonathanD
* **UNASSIGNED**
   * (none)

People Present (lines said)