[TOS] More on Proprietary Software & Higher Education...

Kevin Mark kevin.mark at verizon.net
Sun Jul 11 06:20:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:00:45PM -0400, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/05/technology/05soft.html
>

> <quote>
>
> "..Part of its problem may be that its ability to intrigue and attract software
> developers is also waning, which threatens its ability to steer markets over
> the long term. When it comes to electronic devices, people writing software
> have turned their attention to platforms from Apple and Google."
>
> "Meanwhile, young technology companies today rely on free, open-source business
> software rather than Microsoft s products, so young students, soon to be
> looking for jobs, have embraced open-source software as well."

It just shows the relevance of learning how to operate in a free software
community as part of a CS/MIS/IT curriculum. "We have won" to paraphrase Eben
Moglen. Microsoft was to resort to giving its wares/warez away :)

--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|