[TOS] Hello. I'm new to group, but not to teaching Open Source

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Wed Jul 21 18:01:57 UTC 2010

Hi Michael,

On Wednesday 21 Jul 2010 18:44:15 Michael R. Wolf wrote:
> I just learned about this group as I was scanning the OSCON boards.
>
> I've been asked to introduce myself.
>
> Briefly...
>
> As to Open Source...  I first read the GNU Manifesto in 1985.  I've been
> hooked ever since.  Give away the language (Perl, C, English); make money
> teaching it, using it, and supporting users.

Wow! I haven't got a computer (an 8088 PC XT with 640 KB of RAM, 2 diskette
drives and no hard disk) until 1987, and have not seriously worked with UNIX-
based OSes until 1996. So I feel young again. I'd be happy to hear any of the
perspective of experienced programmers such as yourself.

> As to Teaching... Soon after leaving Bell Labs, I started a string of jobs
> where teaching technology (mainly programming languages) to mid-career
> professionals was an integral part of my yearly mix.

Nice.

I've stumbled into TOS after starting a FOSS-Begin Wikia (as a generalisation
of my much older and more mature http://perl-begin/ ) and then finding TOS as
a previous effort. I've started working on this document on the wiki:

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/How_to_start_contributing_to_or_using_Open_Source_Software

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have any concrete plans on what you want to do?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish