[TOS] How can we mark what activities a particular group is doing within TOS?

Matthew Jadud mjadud at allegheny.edu
Tue Jul 27 17:02:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:32, Peter Froehlich <phf at cs.jhu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info> wrote:
>> I think that what you propose is the opposite of a neutral meeting
>> place.
>
> I think this is a matter of degrees rather than extremes.

I am inclined to agree with Peter.

> be painful and unproductive. But if certain pages tell me that O is
> running this for reason Y, that I find totally okay.

I agree.

> "dictator" of POSSE on TOS, that would be bad. Not sure I am
> expressing this right, but maybe someone catches my drift and can say
> it more clearly. :-D

I don't know that I can say it more clearly, but I can say this:

As an untenured member of the faculty, I have to be able to include a
URL in my yearly evaluations and say "these pages are where 20
Allegheny students did work at the intersection of computing and
community service." Those pages must clearly communicate that
Allegheny was involved to a non-technical audience. If I cannot take
some credit for my work, and the work of my students, then it is
unlikely that I will use shared infrastructure like TOS.

But, to be clear, I'm not really sure what TOS is for. I've only ever
used the wiki to create a bio page (as part of a POSSE exercise), and
to comment on a few things that Mel and others have put up (but I
don't know that anyone read the comments I added to those pages). The
mailing list, as far as I can tell, is the only resource I've really
ever used. Making it clearer what TOS is for would help us to better
define how it should/should not be used.

Cheers,
Matt