[TOS] POSSE meeting minutes 2010-07-27 (individual POSSE status checks)

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Tue Jul 27 19:50:01 UTC 2010

This week's meeting focused on POSSEs in the pipeline; check the
appropriate section of meeting minutes for your status.

at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teachingopensource/2010-07-27/posse_weekly_check-in.2010-07-27-19.03.html
and posted to
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_program_design#Minutes

Meeting summary
---------------
* Order of business for today: we're skipping more meta-level program
   design stuff and jumping straight to the list of upcoming POSSEs and
   walking them through a checklist.  (mchua, 19:06:23)
* Checklist for each upcoming POSSE  (mchua, 19:06:59)
   * LINK: http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Tentative_POSSEs
     (mchua, 19:08:24)
   * LINK: http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/HOWTO_plan_a_POSSE
     (mchua, 19:08:33)
   * LINK:

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/HOWTO_plan_a_POSSE#The_short_version
     (mchua, 19:09:49)
   * Main planner: A single point of contact who is ultimately
     responsible for the logistics of the workshop; having a team to help
     is highly encouraged.  (mchua, 19:21:49)
   * Date: Pretty self-explanatory. Needs to be 5 consecutive full days.
     (mchua, 19:21:52)
   * Location : Pretty self-explanatory. Requirements are listed at
     http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/HOWTO_plan_a_POSSE#Find_space
     (basically, "chairs, tables, wifi with ssh and irc ports open, and
     the ability to leave things in the room overnight.")  (mchua,
     19:21:56)
   * Focus What will your POSSE focus on, be it regional, disciplinary,
     institutional, or some other goal? (code, QA, documentation, design,
     liberal arts institutions, Spanish-speaking contributors, etc?)
     (mchua, 19:22:00)
   * Project: Which open source community will you be working with? This
     must be a community at least one instructor has experience in, and
     the community the tech guru comes from.  (mchua, 19:22:05)
   * Instructors: At least 2 instructors and 1 tech guru; at least 1
     instructor must have prior POSSE experience (attending or
     instructing). See
     http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_Instructors for more
     details.  (mchua, 19:22:09)
   * Sponsorship: How will expenses for this POSSE be covered? At a
     minimum, instructor and tech-guru travel/expenses (and possibly a
     stipend) will be needed, as well as graduation dinner for all POSSE
     attendees and a handful (3-10) of local FOSS contributors on the 4th
     night.  (mchua, 19:22:13)
   * Attendees: We need a minimum of 5 attendees to run a POSSE.  (mchua,
     19:22:18)

* What's the list of tentative POSSEs?  (mchua, 19:23:00)
   * LINK: http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Tentative_POSSEs
     (mchua, 19:23:21)
   * 1 South Africa  (mchua, 19:24:12)
   * 2 Kernel  (mchua, 19:24:13)
   * 3 Malaysia  (mchua, 19:24:13)
   * 4 Philippines  (mchua, 19:24:13)
   * 5 EMEA  (mchua, 19:24:13)
   * 6 Design  (mchua, 19:24:15)
   * 7 China  (mchua, 19:24:18)
   * 8 California  (mchua, 19:24:20)
   * 9 Kansas  (mchua, 19:24:22)
   * 10 Arizona  (mchua, 19:24:25)
   * 11 Embedded  (mchua, 19:24:28)

* POSSE South Africa  (mchua, 19:24:32)
   * Point Person - yes, Michael Adeyeye.  (mchua, 19:24:53)
   * Date - October 3-8, 2010  (mchua, 19:25:11)
   * Location - Cape Peninsula University of Technology (hosted by the
     department of information systems)  (mchua, 19:25:26)
   * Focus - CS, and being the first POSSE in Africa (building capacity
     to teach other POSSEs in the region)  (mchua, 19:25:56)
   * Project - Fedora  (mchua, 19:26:03)
   * Instructors - Jan Wildeboer, Mel Chua, and a Fedora tech guru in the
     process of being identified.  (mchua, 19:26:16)
   * ACTION: micadeyeye and mchua select a tech guru for POSSE South
     Africa  (mchua, 19:26:31)
   * Sponsorship - Instructor expenses have been requested from Red Hat,
     and CPUT is sponsoring Thursday's dinner, so if we have attendees
     the sponsorship will be approved and we'll be all set.  (mchua,
     19:27:08)
   * Attendees - need 5 applications (and hopefully more than 5
     attendees!)  (mchua, 19:27:36)

* POSSE Kernel Hacking  (mchua, 19:28:24)
   * Point Person - Matthew Whitehead  (mchua, 19:28:40)
   * Date - Not yet chosen; we're looking into Fall 2010 as a
     possibility, and our go/no-go date for that is June 1st. If it is
     no-go, we'll bump to Spring or Summer 2011.  (mchua, 19:28:53)
   * Location - Not yet chosen, U of Alabama at Huntsville proposed due
     to proximity to potential instructors.  (mchua, 19:29:04)
   * Project - Linux kernel  (mchua, 19:29:11)
   * Instructors - not yet arranged  (mchua, 19:29:21)
   * Sponsorship and Attendees - not yet arranged  (mchua, 19:29:45)

* POSSE Malaysia  (mchua, 19:30:34)
   * Point person - Izhar Firdaus, Inigo Consulting  (mchua, 19:30:52)
   * Date - December 13-17, 2010  (mchua, 19:31:02)
   * Location: KPerak (http://www.kperak.com.my/)  (mchua, 19:31:15)
   * Project - not yet arranged, dependent on instructors.  (mchua,
     19:31:30)
   * Instructors - tentatively, Harish Pillay and Mel Chua (which would
     imply a Fedora-centered POSSE). No tech guru yet.  (mchua, 19:31:55)
   * Sponsorship and attendees - not yet arranged.  (mchua, 19:32:09)
   * ACTION: KageSenshi figure out instructors and sponsorship for POSSE
     Malaysia; confirm availability of Harish and a tech guru and we'll
     be set.  (mchua, 19:33:09)

* POSSE Philippines  (mchua, 19:33:29)
   * Point person: Magie Antonio, Bluepoint (others interested in
     helping: Engels Antonio, Heherson Pagcaliwagan, Ray Baquiran)
     (mchua, 19:35:38)
   * Date - Not finalized; proposed date range is sometime in October
     2010, but this is starting to no longer look realistic - during the
     Filipino summer break in April/May may be best.  (mchua, 19:35:41)
   * Location: Not yet arranged, proposed locations are UPD, ADMU, or
     APC.  (mchua, 19:35:45)
   * Project: Not yet arranged, dependent on instructors  (mchua,
     19:35:49)
   * Instructors: Not yet arranged.  (mchua, 19:35:51)
   * Sponsorship: Not yet arranged.  (mchua, 19:35:54)
   * Attendees: No count yet (need at least 5).  (mchua, 19:35:56)

* POSSE EMEA  (mchua, 19:36:24)

* POSSE Design  (mchua, 19:37:24)
   * Point person - Sebastian Dziallas  (mchua, 19:39:25)
   * Date - June 2011, final date not set  (mchua, 19:39:25)
   * Location - Olin College, Needham MA USA  (mchua, 19:39:25)
   * Focus - Design/HCI/UI  (mchua, 19:39:25)
   * Project - Fedora  (mchua, 19:39:25)
   * Instructors - Not set, but Mo Duffy would be one instructor (need a
     professor as well, several candidates available)  (mchua, 19:39:28)
   * Sponsorship - Not set, but plan to request from Red Hat  (mchua,
     19:39:31)
   * Attendees - None yet  (mchua, 19:39:34)
   * ACTION: sdziallas figure out instructors, hosting for POSSE Design
     (mchua, 19:39:48)

* POSSE China  (mchua, 19:39:58)

* POSSE California  (mchua, 19:40:26)
   * Point person - Karsten Wade  (mchua, 19:42:24)
   * Date - June 2011, final date not set  (mchua, 19:42:24)
   * Location - Not finalized, but University of Santa Cruz or nearby is
     target, Red Hat Mountain View office as backup.  (mchua, 19:42:24)
   * Focus - Either CS or CMS  (mchua, 19:42:27)
   * Project - If CS, Fedora. If CMS, Drupal.  (mchua, 19:42:29)
   * Instructors - If Fedora, Karsten Wade and one other person (Mel Chua
     as backup) with a local tech guru. If Drupal, instructors still need
     to be identified.  (mchua, 19:42:32)
   * Sponsorship - Not set, but plan to request from Red Hat  (mchua,
     19:42:34)
   * Attendees - None yet  (mchua, 19:42:37)
   * ACTION: quaid pick a focus for POSSE California and find instructors
     (mchua, 19:42:43)

* POSSE Kansas  (mchua, 19:42:45)
   * Point person - Ian Weller  (mchua, 19:43:51)
   * Date - June 2011, final date not set  (mchua, 19:43:52)
   * Location - University of Kansas (needs to be confirmed)  (mchua,
     19:43:52)
   * Focus - CS  (mchua, 19:43:52)
   * Project - Fedora  (mchua, 19:43:52)
   * Instructors - Tech guru Ian Weller, instructors TBD  (mchua,
     19:43:54)
   * Sponsorship - Not set, but plan to request from Red Hat  (mchua,
     19:43:56)
   * Attendees - None yet  (mchua, 19:43:59)
   * ACTION: ianweller confirm hosting, find instructors, and set a date
     for POSSE Kansas  (mchua, 19:44:05)

* POSSE Arizona  (mchua, 19:44:08)
   * Point person - Ryan Rix  (mchua, 19:44:24)
   * Date - June 2011, final date not set  (mchua, 19:44:24)
   * Location - Arizona State University (needs to be confirmed)  (mchua,
     19:44:24)
   * Focus - CS  (mchua, 19:44:24)
   * Project - Fedora/KDE  (mchua, 19:44:24)
   * Instructors - Tech guru Ryan Rix, instructors TBD  (mchua, 19:44:27)
   * Sponsorship - Not set, but plan to request from Red Hat  (mchua,
     19:44:29)
   * Attendees - None yet  (mchua, 19:44:32)
   * ACTION: rrix confirm hosting, find instructors, and set a date for
     POSSE Arizona  (mchua, 19:44:38)
   * Point person - Jeff Osier-Mixon  (mchua, 19:48:46)
   * Date - Not yet set  (mchua, 19:48:46)
   * Location - Not yet set (probably "somewhere in California")  (mchua,
     19:48:47)
   * Focus - Embedded development  (mchua, 19:48:47)
   * Project - Beagleboard  (mchua, 19:48:47)
   * Instructors - Jeff Osier-Mixon, need tech guru and instructor OR 2
     instructors if Jeff decides to serve as tech guru  (mchua, 19:48:49)
   * Sponsorship - Not set  (mchua, 19:48:52)
   * Attendees - None yet  (mchua, 19:48:55)
   * ACTION: Jefro figure out a target date and instructors as the first
     thing to focus on - I'd suggest either winter break or summer 2011
     as good targets.  (mchua, 19:48:57)

* Overall POSSE status  (mchua, 19:49:01)
   * It looks like South Africa is in good shape to happen in October.
     (mchua, 19:49:19)
   * I'm also optimistic about Malaysia.  (mchua, 19:49:24)
   * I have high hopes for Kansas (eventually), Arizona, Design, and
     California.  (mchua, 19:49:50)
   * However, they (and other POSSEs) have a lot of planning to do. ;)
     (mchua, 19:50:03)
   * Prospect of targeting a LATAM POSSE at some point?  (mchua,
     19:50:14)
   * There was interest from FUDCon Chile in having a POSSE at the host
     location there, will investigate.  (mchua, 19:50:43)

* open floor  (mchua, 19:51:53)

Meeting ended at 19:57:18 UTC.

Action Items