[TOS] FW: How can we mark what activities a particular group is doing within TOS?

Leslie Hawthorn mebelh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 02:22:01 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

Like Heidi, I too have been mulling over this question. Perhaps the answer
is as simple as ensuring all of our profile pages on TOS are up to date with
our bio information and a note stating that "my work in the Teaching Open
Source community is a part of my employment at <company, academic
institution>" or  "sponsored by my employer <name>" or "done to fulfill the
requirements of my coursework at <institution name, course #>."

Using the diff function on the wiki it would be clear whom had contributed
what to a particular section, though I wonder if that would be sufficient to
document coursework for students.

In the case of efforts like POSSE, describing it on the page as a community
service sponsored by RedHat would be just fine by me, provided that others
are welcome to say that they contributed under the banner of their employer,
academic institution, etc. (Which I feel confident that they are, but
someone correct me if I am wrong.)

Perhaps a logos page on TOS to represent all companies/groups that are
contributing employee time could help both with branding efforts and
acknowledging those businesses who are generously donating their resources
to TOS' efforts. It doesn't go as far as branding individual pages &
reinforces the community's mission to be vendor neutral.

Best,
LH

Leslie Hawthorn
http://www.hawthornlandings.org