[TOS] TeachingOpenSource.org - Infrastructure Plans

Jeff Sheltren jeff at osuosl.org
Thu Jul 29 17:19:27 UTC 2010

Chris, thanks for bringing this to the list.  I've added some comments
below.

On 07/15/2010 10:49 PM, Chris Tyler wrote:
> - Hosting for TeachingOpenSource.org would be community-managed. In
> order to bootstrap the admin team, Karsten Wade will be appointed
> initial leader, and will oversee the task of putting together an initial
> team and the development of procedures so that other qualified community
> members can become involved.
+1 -- More on this below.

> - Hosting arrangements will be selected and negotiated by the initial
> admin team. OSUOSL has offered to host TOS.o, and I anticipate that
> other institutions may be willing to help; commercial options may also
> be considered.
Yes, we would be very happy to host this at OSUOSL.  In my opinion, it
would be ideal to have TOS hosted at a university for both technical
(ie. Internet2 connection) as well as political reasons.  We are very
flexible in the types of services we can provide including having OSUOSL
handle much of the base system administration and leaving TOS
responsible for more of the application-level administration.  This is
all stuff we should discuss with the initial infrastructure team.

> - Red Hat has generously offered to fund hosting, in return for
> recognition as a sponsor of TOS.o.
My offer to host TOS is not contingent on funding; it's something that
we can provide at no cost.  If Red Hat has funding they are willing/able
to contribute, then I would gladly accept it to help cover our costs.  I
see no reason that RH (and others) shouldn't be given recognition
somewhere on the website; in fact, I'm all for it and think that it's
good for TOS to advertise these supporters in hopes of drawing in more
down the road.

> - Red Hat has also proposed managing the TeachingOpenSource.org domain.
> After considering this, my strong preference is that I will continue to
> manage the TeachingOpenSource.org domain registration on behalf of the
> community until such time as we form a independent legal entity to
> manage it (such as something along the lines of freedesktop.org LLC).
I agree.  If we want TOS to continue to grow and gain acceptance by
other learning institutions, then I think it is important to show
support by corporation (as per above), but not to be too closely tied to
any given corporate sponsor.  Ownership of the domain name may give some
people the wrong impression.  This is also something we can
host/maintain at OSUOSL if you would prefer.

-Jeff