[TOS] Textbook -- feedback & 0.9 planning

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Jun 13 18:05:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 08:52:28AM -0400, Heidi Ellis wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> As for using the text in the classroom, the timing of the completion of the
> text didn't align with the typical undergraduate teaching schedule (not a
> complaint, merely an observation :-) ). Because of the timing, I'm not sure
> that there are any faculty members who have used the text throughout an
> entire term. So we might not get complete feedback from classroom use.

Understood for certain.

We should probably expand the thinking, anyway, and include *any*
input, from either reading or using.

> The good news is that I know that there are at least three faculty members
> at three different institutions (and possibly more) who are planning on
> using the text in the fall. So we might get better feedback after the fall
> semester.
>
> Do we have a feedback mechanism for those who might want to comment on their
> experiences?

We don't, especially for taking individual comments from students.
Should we cook something up?  Or is it better for instructors to
handle that and send results back to here?

I reckon that a deep introspection on the textbook is not normal for
classes :), yet this is a different, perhaps entirely new situation.
Putting the onus back on the instructor seems like it might not work
out as well.  Perhaps they'd be willing to pass on a URL to a comment
collection form?

Is there a more standard method for collecting such feedback that we
derive from?

In Red Hat classes, the instructor hosts a feedback form locally that
students use before they leave on the last day.  Are people doing
things like that in academics now?

- Karsten, who is happy his college was in the photocopy,
  post-mimeograph era.