[TOS] Textbook -- feedback & 0.9 planning

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Jun 16 18:00:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 07:44:13AM -0400, Heidi Ellis wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I think that providing faculty with a URL for comments is a good thing. I
> had another thought which is that, in addition to providing feedback on the
> text, students may also want to give hints to their fellow students or
> provide additional resources. Would be good to provide a mechanism for this.
> Some sort of commenting ability or even a forum, if we can find the
> technical support for this.

One thing we have failed at so far is providing an issue/task/bug
tracker for the textbook; I think Chris indicated he could have Trac
up for us, which would work fine.

But that's not a friendly UI for simple feedback.  You bring up an
idea that is _really_ interesting, a basic web forum around the
textbook.  Faculty could start a new thread to give feedback
(encouraging students to add to the thread), and students could do as
you say, use the forum to help each other.  (If anyone needs to give
private feedback, we'll include an email alias in the book I suppose.)
Such a forum would be the end-user community hub, with end-users being
faculty and students.

Chris - what do you think of this?  We warned you that we wanted to
*increase* usage of teachingopensource.org, and our pledge for help
from our team is still up (we also now have Ian Weller on tap, too.)

- Karsten