[TOS] Scribd

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Jun 25 00:03:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 04:45:16PM -0700, Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:
> I did some digging on Scribd.  The format they developed is called iPaper -
> it is Flash based, similar to PDF in function, and has an open API.  You can
> attach any license to a document, including Creative Commons.  Think of it
> as Google Docs meets PDF, but the main goal is social-media-style sharing.
>  The tools don't favor open source, nor do they appear to restrict it in any
> way.

The site usage policies apply all sorts of restrictions that are
structured and controlling (and non-freed), which would be another
reservation.

What I might suggest is that we look around these types of
self-publishing sites for materials that might be useful for teaching
open source participation.  If we find something, we can approach the
author about licensing and obtaining sources.

- Karsten