[TOS] Scribd

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Fri Jun 25 05:54:45 UTC 2010

On Friday 25 Jun 2010 03:03:15 Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 04:45:16PM -0700, Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:
> > I did some digging on Scribd.  The format they developed is called iPaper
> > - it is Flash based, similar to PDF in function, and has an open API.
> > You can attach any license to a document, including Creative Commons.
> > Think of it as Google Docs meets PDF, but the main goal is
> > social-media-style sharing.
> >
> >  The tools don't favor open source, nor do they appear to restrict it in
> >  any
> >
> > way.
>
> The site usage policies apply all sorts of restrictions that are
> structured and controlling (and non-freed), which would be another
> reservation.
>
> What I might suggest is that we look around these types of
> self-publishing sites for materials that might be useful for teaching
> open source participation.  If we find something, we can approach the
> author about licensing and obtaining sources.

In addition to that, I should note that Scribd does not allow downloading the
documents themselves unless you are a registered user. Moreover, at one point
I registered to them and misplaced the password, and the password reminder
link did not work no matter how many times I tried. After I contacted the
site's admins, they did not respond after one or two E-mails, and I'm still
locked out out of the service (at least from my shlomif at iglu.org.il address).

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish