[TOS] Scribd

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jun 29 02:05:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 05:42:29PM -0700, tosmaillist.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Chris Tyler - chris at tylers.info wrote:
> > A part of an earlier comment that got sniped is:
> >
> >> It's also been my experience that building data with a schedule-driven
> >> choice of data manipulation tools locks in that tool set rather
> >> permanently.  Few people like to transcribe a large set of data they
> >> have spent precious time creating.
> >
> > I'm pretty confident that we're not locking ourselves into anything evil
> > here -- DocBook is one of the most-transformable formats available.
> >
> > -Chris
>
> I'm sorry.  I had no intention of implying that the current tool set
> and data formats used were in any way "evil".

I'm sure Chris meant this in the colloquial sense, not the
metaphysical.  Tools that work and play nicely with others are good,
ones that don't are evil, etc.  In that sense, if using DocBook XML
"locks in that tool set ... permanently", that would be evil, but not
actually EVIL evil. ;-)  Fortunately, XML is great for transformation
and is one reason we use it.

- Karsten