[TOS] How to become a POSSE instructor

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Mar 1 17:13:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 10:58:16AM -0500, Greg DeKoenigbserg wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Matthew Jadud wrote:
>
>> Professors teaching professors isn't interesting, it's your bridge into
>> the culture.
>
> I laughed out loud at this.  It's humble, hilarious, and exactly right.

Well, I didn't LOL :), but I did get the point.  Matt's arguments are
exactly right and pointed out my error of domain.

In the existing-as-it-stands FOSS world (one domain), what I said
makes sense - in that community, anyone can be a practitioner, and
showing that inlusiveness is part of the point of teaching/mentoring
exercises.

I read Matt's argument as, "We're growing a very nascent community of
practice around FOSS in academia, and that requires people who
understand both to bridge the cultures."  That addresses the CS/CE
domain that POSSE is targeted at.

In light that of that correction, I'll smack my head and thanks for
the clarity, and point out one obvious thing -- the fact that I was
rankled at the original language/argument is a sign that others in the
FOSS domain will do the same (I think I saw that this morning on
#teachingopensource, too.)  Let's make sure we throw in some
clarifying language that explains the value of fellow-professor as
teacher in POSSE.

- Karsten