[TOS] How to become a POSSE instructor

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Mar 1 17:25:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 08:27:10AM -0500, Karlie Robinson wrote:
> On 02/27/2010 06:34 AM, Mel Chua wrote:
> > GregDeK - Also: how would folks feel about requiring that at least one of the
> > All right. If we implement all of these, does this block - or unblock -
> > anyone?
> >

> Forgive my late entry into this thread.  Since I live and breath Linux
> and FOSS all week, I try not to read email on weekends.
>
> First off, Greg's suggestion that someone should have College level
> teaching experience would block me, and puts others like me out of the
> running before POSSE picks up steam.

It looks like you and Mel discussed this on IRC, so I'll do a wrap for
the list.  We need a teaching team of 2 or 3, and in that mix, they
MUST have real FOSS experience, and at least one of them SHOULD have
higher ed teaching experience.  This rule doesn't exclude non-teachers
from being part of the teaching team, much to the relief of Karlie and
myself.

Wrapping up the discussion here, the purpose is to help the nascent
Teaching Open Source community of practice learn from the wider FOSS
community of practice, and that educator-instructors helps bridge the
gap for the educator-students.  This is because one of the goals is to
help the educator-students learn how to motivate and make changes in
their own instititutions by drawing people in to the new community of
practice, for their own good! :)

In all of this, we need to make sure that people who are potential
members of the teaching team understand that there is a mix of skills
and experience required that we all may not have, and none of it is
any less valuable.

I think in making this a SHOULD requirement we avoid the trap of
having to take on a member of the teaching team because of a rule
where there may not be one available with sufficient
experience. (E.g., POSSE APAC last year.)  It becomes incumbent on the
teaching team to make sure that a professor who hasn't attended a
POSSE but is teaching one knows what to expect.  Beyond that, I'll
stop supposing nightmare scenarios. :)