[TOS] How to become a POSSE instructor

Greg DeKoenigbserg gdk at redhat.com
Mon Mar 1 22:23:00 UTC 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Matthew Jadud wrote:

> 2010/3/1 Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:
>> On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 10:58:16AM -0500, Greg DeKoenigbserg wrote:
>> In light that of that correction, I'll smack my head and thanks for
>> the clarity, and point out one obvious thing -- the fact that I was
>> rankled at the original language/argument is a sign that others in the
>> FOSS domain will do the same (I think I saw that this morning on
>
> I think Karsten is right---others might read the same thing. I had to
> keep reminding myself of my own words as I wrote my reply---that is,
> that we're bridging communities here. It's very easy, once we get
> comfortable in our communities, to forget what it is like to come into
> one that is new.
>
> This kind of dialog is exactly where we figure things like this out,
> so the fact that we don't always come at the same ideas from the same
> direction is, I think, essential and a Good Thing.

I was doing some reading of other community-theory related stuff, and
there was a really important distinction that I think is useful here: the
difference between bonding social capital and bridging social capital.

Bonding social capital, of the type you commonly see in the open source
world, has many positives, but also some clear negatives -- the tendency
to become exclusionary over time, for instance.  Focusing on bridging
social capital may be an important idea here.

(Robert Putnam's "Bowling Alone" is the source of much of this thought,
btw.)

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.