[TOS] I'd like to plan a POSSE

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Tue Mar 2 16:50:05 UTC 2010

> I'm Izhar Firdaus from Malaysia. I would like to plan a POSSE in one
> of a local university here: PETRONAS University of Technology
> (http://www.utp.edu.my).

Hi, Izhar - we talked a bit on #teachingopensource the other day, so
these notes are for catching up the rest of TOS about our conversation
and adding a few things I thought of after we talked.

 > I have talked with Harish Pillay about this idea last week and he
 > seems interested with it. I also have pinged some lecturers and the
 > Head of Computer Information Science department in the university, and
 > from the reply i just got today, they too are interested with it.

You may also want to get in touch with Tirath (cc'd, since I'm not sure
if he's still on this list), from Punjabi Education Centre Malacca
(PECM), also in Malaysia - he came to the POSSE in Singapore and was
also interested in having one in Malaysia, so perhaps you can join forces.

> I'm thinking of proposing it to be somewhere between the next semester
> break (5 june - 25th July)  of the university but the approval
> dateline for that period ended today.

After talking on IRC, we're going to be moving to sometime in the
September-December range (possibly early December) - I wonder if it
makes sense to try and coordinate timing with the Manila POSSE in some
way. They'll be aiming for October, iirc.

> The university asked me for a meeting with them to discuss on this
> matter, so, erm .. how should I proceed?

The first things to figure out:

* curricular focus (CS? Design? Writing? etc. CS probably easiest.)
* date (need 5 consecutive days, all-day except for the last day which
is a half-day, and we traditionally gather on Sunday nights before the
bootcamp starts to eat and drink and get to know each other before the
real work begins).
* location (need room with wifi open to ssh and IRC).

Funding may be available to cover POSSE instructor expenses; it's
something we'll have to request at some point down the line, but as we
talk about things on this list, it's something that'll get figured out,
since Max holds the pursestrings for that and he's on this list. (We'll
figure out a better system for this next summer, but for now we're
playing a lot by ear.)

> Currently i'm referring to
> http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE&
> http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/HOWTO_plan_a_POSSE to get some
> rough idea.

Sounds great. I need to revise the latter today based on the emails back
and forth with Karl. This is extremely useful - thanks for helping us
get this right. We're doing a lot of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3hge6Bx-4w right now; it's kinda fun. ;)

--Mel