[TOS] How to become a POSSE instructor

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Tue Mar 2 19:24:24 UTC 2010

On 03/02/2010 02:58 AM, Mel Chua wrote:
> Wow. *Thank you* for all the feedback on the wording - the last thing I
> want the requirements to be is exclusive, I would *love* to see POSSEs
> co-taught by Karsten, Karlie, high school students, university
> sysadmins, and other community members, so it's important to make sure
> that this desire to include is actually well-communicated.
>
> Trying to fix the bugs here...
>
>   >  As long as the teaching team members cover all experience points this
>   >  group defines, it shouldn't matter what the division is.
>
> Agreed. How does the (much-revised) draft below look?

I got good feedback on IRC on this draft, so I've updated
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_Instructors. I know this
is moving quickly, but we need to get something in place so we can
figure out how to get more instructors trained this summer - and then we
can tweak more as we go along.

Patches always welcome, of course. :) But this seems good enough to me
to move forward with - my primary concern is that the language is clear
that we're deliberately trying to be inclusive of people who *aren't*
professors being instructors, and that having that diversity of
viewpoints (professor and non-professor) teaching at a POSSE is
valuable, but also making sure we keep the points Matt and Greg made
about bridging social capital in mind.

I'm citing this email thread at the top of the page so people can see
how we arrived at this policy if they're curious.

--Mel