[TOS] Meeting to discuss HFOSS bootcamp / POSSE

Ralph Morelli ralph.morelli at trincoll.edu
Thu Mar 4 16:27:33 UTC 2010

Hi Mel,

Trishan and I sent around the following basic outline/framework to the other
HFOSS professors, but haven't received any feedback yet.  I think this means
that Trishan and I will have to try to flesh this out a bit more and send it
around again.  I'll be seeing some of our new participants next week in
Milwaukee and we'll try to firm this up a bit. Perhaps we can add a 4th day
if the participants are game.  I'll keep you (and the TOS list) posted on
our progress.

But here's our plan so far.  As you can see, we try to fit the orientation
into three days, focusing for approximately one day on the actual projects
that new faculty will be working on.

Regards,
-- ralph
Day 1
  AM
PM
 FOSS History and Culture
Communications tools, practices,
etiquette: wiki's IRC, email
 Instructor:
Instructor

Networking Activity: Evening BBQ
Day 2
  AM
 PM
  Code Management Overview:
repositories
bug-tracking
issue-tracking, etc.. +exercise
 Breakout Session:
Communication/Code management for specific projects
Sahana, POSIT, OpenMRS, setting up your own project
  Instructor:
 Instructor/s:

Evening: Working on Exercise?
Day 3
  AM
 PM
  Breakout Session II:
Exercises and continued orientation for specific projects
 Debriefing: Discussing issues, making plans for follow-up,
mentoring, etc.
 Instructor/s:

  Evening: Return trips
Possible Instructors:

Some other ideas:

* We would want to recruit mentors/collaborators from the various
communities we'll be working with:

   - OpenMRS( Darius?)
   - Sahana (Mark Prutsalis, Chamindra?)
   - POSIT (In house expertise)
   - GNOME (William Walker?)
   - We want to include some role in this for the Oregon State folks (Carlos
   Jensen and Tim Budd)

 * We will setup HFOSS-IRC service dedicated to HFOSS related projects and
activities.

-- ralph