[TOS] Meeting to discuss HFOSS bootcamp / POSSE

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Mar 4 16:41:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Ralph Morelli wrote:

> Hi Mel,
>
> Trishan and I sent around the following basic outline/framework to the
> other HFOSS professors, but haven't received any feedback yet.  I think
> this means that Trishan and I will have to try to flesh this out a bit
> more and send it around again.  I'll be seeing some of our new
> participants next week in Milwaukee and we'll try to firm this up a bit.
> Perhaps we can add a 4th day if the participants are game.  I'll keep
> you (and the TOS list) posted on our progress.
>
> But here's our plan so far.  As you can see, we try to fit the
> orientation into three days, focusing for approximately one day on the
> actual projects that new faculty will be working on.

I like, mostly.  Comments inline.

>   Day 1
>
> AM
> PM
> FOSS History and Culture
> Communications tools, practices,
> etiquette: wiki's IRC, email
> Instructor:
> Instructor
>
> Networking Activity: Evening BBQ
>
>   Day 2
>
> AM
> PM
> Code Management Overview:
> repositories
> bug-tracking
> issue-tracking, etc.. +exercise
> Breakout Session:
> Communication/Code management for specific projects
> Sahana, POSIT, OpenMRS, setting up your own project

"Setting up your own project" could be perilously large.  :)  What do you
mean by this?  In the textbook, I assume that this part is "getting the
code from your chosen project to build on your system."  Is that kinda
what you mean?

> Instructor:
> Instructor/s:
>
> Evening: Working on Exercise?
>
>   Day 3
>
> AM
> PM
> Breakout Session II:
> Exercises and continued orientation for specific projects
> Debriefing: Discussing issues, making plans for follow-up,
> mentoring, etc.
> Instructor/s:
>
> Evening: Return trips
>
> Possible Instructors:
>
> Some other ideas:
>
> * We would want to recruit mentors/collaborators from the various communities we'll be working with:
>
>  *  OpenMRS( Darius?)
>  *  Sahana (Mark Prutsalis, Chamindra?)
>  *  POSIT (In house expertise)
>  *  GNOME (William Walker?)
>  *  We want to include some role in this for the Oregon State folks (Carlos Jensen and Tim Budd)

Yeah, this sounds essential.  What's your sense on how firm these
commitments are?

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.