[TOS] Meeting to discuss HFOSS bootcamp / POSSE

Ralph Morelli ralph.morelli at trincoll.edu
Fri Mar 5 12:52:48 UTC 2010

Mel and Greg,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Of course, you're right about the "learning the
tools" and "learning the culture" distinction.  I think we can probably do a
decent job of the former during the 3-day workshop but not the latter.
Especially since we are relative newbies at this and haven't really been
fully immersed ourselves.  Trishan and I have had intermittent episodes of
that kind of immersion in our collaboration with Sahana.  So I do appreciate
this point and have myself often been "productively lost" --- including when
working on the Sahana IRC.  :)

One difference between our 3-day orientation and a POSSE is that for us this
is just the beginning of an 8-10 week, full-time collaboration. So we can
treat the workshop as just the starting point.  One thing we plan to do this
summer -- that we haven't tried before -- is using an IRC channel to keep
the whole group together.  This is the first summer we will not all be
located at Trinity.  So it is necessary that we learn to use the IRC well.

" 'Setting up your own project'  will be perilously large"  -- Yes, that's
going to be tricky and in one case we don't really have any experience with
what that group will be doing. So it's not clear how we can be supportive.
(Greg:  that project is based right in your neighborhood, so perhaps we can
get you engaged?)

On the VCS issue,  the different projects use different platforms -- e.g.,
POSIT (Google Code),  Sahana (Sourceforge, Trac), OpenMRS (SVN), etc.  So
the plan would be to provide a general introduction in the plenary session
plus a brief introduction to their specific repository in the break out
session.  But, again, the 3-day meeting will just get them started.  They'll
have all summer to gain experience--hopefully with sufficient mentoring and
support.

Regarding collaborators, we'll try to have some in-person collaborators
during the 3-day workshop.  During the summer we'll use IRC, email and other
channels.

Thanks,
-- ralph