[TOS] Patches Chapter Draft

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Mar 15 19:37:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 11:33:16AM -0700, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> I've completed a draft of the patches chapter.  Reviews/comments/changes welcome!
>
> http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Fixing_the_Code

Thanks for the heads up, I've added it to my to-edit list.

> I had some issue with the mediawiki syntax in the bottom exercises
> section due to the use of pre tags inside of the bullet points.  I'm
> not sure the best way to fix that...

This in fact is a weakness in wiki syntax in general -- I have yet to
see one handle literal blocks within a numbered bullet scheme.

I'll try some ideas when editing, but solutions are usually found with
one of the following:

* Reformat "# Steps" as "== Steps =="
** Sadly, not good for DocBook conversion.
* Make the <pre/> block all on one line.
** Only works where the text is a single line.
* Drop the numbering and use regular bullents.
* Drop the autoformatted bullets and increment a manual numbering
  scheme.
** Hacky and hard to maintain, but if you get to where the content is
   relatively stable, doesn't hurt much.
* Ignore it in cases such as this where the wiki is an intermediate
  format; we'll make it look good in DocBook and maintain it
  thereafter.