[TOS] writing style for textbook

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon Mar 15 20:01:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Karsten Wade wrote:

> What is our writing style for the textbook going to be?
>
> * Formal textbook tone?
> * Semi-informal textbook tone?
> * Informal how-to tone?
>
> In Fedore we have writing guidelines that try to balance the
> informal/formal line.  For example, it suggests avoiding pronouns
> ("Next you do this, then we do that") and using active instead of
> passive speach ("Save the file" v. "Now you will save the file.")
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_Style_Guide
>
> Personally, I like the gently informal active tone that avoids
> pronouns.  It uses fewer words, focuses attention on the content and
> not on all the you/we/they, and is easier to read.  But I'll edit to
> whatever the consensus + Greg says, especially Greg. ;-)

Somewhere between semi-informal textbook tone and informal how-to tone.

It is likely that I will make a sweep for this towards the very end, to
try to give it some cohesion.

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.