[TOS] writing style for textbook

Matthew Jadud mjadud at allegheny.edu
Tue Mar 16 12:15:37 UTC 2010

2010/3/16 Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 11:14:53AM -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
>> What is our writing style for the textbook going to be?
>
> In response, Greg Dek said:
>
> "Somewhere between semi-informal textbook tone and informal how-to
> tone."

The last collaborative book I was part of included two important passes:

1. A "transitions" pass, and
2. A "voice" pass.

That is, we had one member of our team go through the entire text
adding transitions. They might be at the end of chapters, the front of
chapters, or even within chapters. Then, another member of the team
went through the entire document, editing for voice.  Although we all
tried to write with a unified voice, the fact was that it wasn't
possible with 8, 9 people co-authoring. The unification pass smoothed
out differences in style, and left us with a very readable text.

Just my 2p from previous experience.

Cheers,
Matt