[TOS] writing style for textbook

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 17 05:16:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 07:15:37AM -0500, Matthew Jadud wrote:
> 2010/3/16 Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:
> > On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 11:14:53AM -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> >> What is our writing style for the textbook going to be?
> >
> > In response, Greg Dek said:
> >
> > "Somewhere between semi-informal textbook tone and informal how-to
> > tone."
>
> The last collaborative book I was part of included two important passes:
>
> 1. A "transitions" pass, and
> 2. A "voice" pass.
>
> That is, we had one member of our team go through the entire text
> adding transitions. They might be at the end of chapters, the front of
> chapters, or even within chapters. Then, another member of the team
> went through the entire document, editing for voice.  Although we all
> tried to write with a unified voice, the fact was that it wasn't
> possible with 8, 9 people co-authoring. The unification pass smoothed
> out differences in style, and left us with a very readable text.

That's a good grouping of items to go alongside some other edit passes
I wrote down.  I've been adding columns to the chapter to-do tracker,
and I just rejiggered it to come up with this:

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Textbook_Roadmap#TODO:_finish_First_Draft_of_every_chapter

Here are the column headings:

! Chapter
! Owner(s)