[TOS] Textbook / Mediawiki / Docbook

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 17 21:45:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 09:31:13AM -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:

> Timing being what it is, I'm offering to take point on the initial
> DocBook conversion using the automagic tools.  Many hands learning and
> doing will be useful, this is going to be a relatively easy
> conversion.

== Summary ==

We are in business.

One question to Chris Tyler below[1].

== Full details ==

I've got a working toolchain with the version of python-mwlib that is
in Fedora testing.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/python-mwlib-0.11.2-5.20090522hg2956.fc12

There is a strange error where the tool is not happy with the URL
structure of teachingopensource.{org,com}[1].  While I'm exploring where
the problem is (bug or ?), I have a work around.  When the chapters
are ready to convert, I'll copy all of them to another wiki that I can
render from, e.g.:

https://www.theopensourceway.org/wiki/User:Quaid/Textbook/Introduction_to_Free_and_Open_Source_Software

... produces this XML:

http://www.theopensourceway.org/Introduction_to_Free_and_Open_Source_Software.xml

That's the base output, which is a self-contained <book>.  We'll strip
out just the main <section> in the middle and drop it in to a
<chapter>.

I'm going to do some clean-up in the wiki, such as removing the
hand-coded section numbers and the <h1> (= section =) so we can get a
cleaner XML output.

- Karsten

[1] Chris - what is $wgScriptPath set to in LocalSettings.php?  That's
the path mw-render needs to make API calls.