[TOS] I'd like to plan a POSSE

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Mon Mar 22 15:45:00 UTC 2010

Replying somewhat belatedly to this thread, so the full email I'm
replying to is at
http://teachingopensource.org/pipermail/tos/2010-March/000983.html for
context, since I've snipped it below to not make this email too long.

>> * curricular focus (CS? Design? Writing? etc. CS probably easiest.)
 > Curricular focus is CS/ICT

Sounds good - I see Izhar has already made
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_Malaysia_2010 and linked
it from http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE#Tentative_POSSEs,
which is absolutely perfect. :)

 > After discussion with the lecturers, tentative date that we have
 > agreed upon would be 13-17th December 2010

Sounds good to me.

 > in term of logistics, using KPerak facilities is easier due to less
 > beaurocracy and is nearer to Ipoh town (which means nearer to possible
 > accommodations)

This sounds great. The venue is totally a matter of functionality - can
we access it for a week, does it have good wifi connectivity and chairs
and tables we can move around so people can work in groups, is it easy
to get to? It sounds like KPerak may be the best fit; if so, let's go
for it.

 > It is also possible to ask for KPerak to fund/sponsor stuff for the
 > event (eg: food)

Oh, extra bonus points for this. :)

>> Funding may be available to cover POSSE instructor expenses; it's something
>> we'll have to request at some point down the line, but as we talk about
>> things on this list, it's something that'll get figured out, since Max holds
>> the pursestrings for that and he's on this list. (We'll figure out a better
>> system for this next summer, but for now we're playing a lot by ear.)

 > I hope we can get funding for POSSE instructor expenses from RH.

 > For the attendees, probably a combined funding from RH+KPerak or just
 > KPerak .. If the attendees come as a representative of a university,
 > it might also be possible for the attendee to claim their travel
 > expenses from their own university ..

Due to the number of POSSEs we're running, it's probably not possible
for RH to foot attendee expenses - as it is, we'll only be able to fund
instructors for a limited number of POSSEs this year, so it's good that
we're planning this POSSE in Malaysia now so we can explore that as an
option for instructor funding early on.

 > Btw .. I need to write up a proposal to pass to the lecturers for them
 > to deal with the university management .. any template or sample for
 > this?

Not yet, but we can work on that together in #teachingopensource
sometime if you'd like. It would be a good general POSSE-planning
resource to have.

You're doing all the right things, Izhar - thank you for continuing to
push this forward!

--Mel