[TOS] translating FOSS software in Spanish

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon Mar 22 17:53:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010, Steven Huss-Lederman wrote:

> I'm currently spending a sabbatical year in Oaxaca, Mexico.  I'm
> teaching a course on Technology and Education at the state university
> to English majors (many will become teachers).  7-10 of the students
> in this class have expressed interest in working on projects to
> translate FOSS into Mexican Spanish.  Since they are native speakers
> of Spanish and are studying English they should be able to do a very
> good translation.  I suspect they lean toward educational software but
> might consider other types.  One issue is that they are not CS
> students so the effort cannot require deep CS knowledge for doing the
> translation (I'm a CS prof. and can help some in setting things up,
> etc).  Software that has internationalization files would seem a good
> fit but I'm open to ideas.  I'm writing to ask if people have
> suggestion on how to do this or specific project(s) they might suggest.

Ha-HA!

Allow me to copy my good friend Dimitris Glezos, who runs a company called
Indifex, based on an open source project called Transifex.

Dimitris, do you happen to have a good list of Transifex projects that
might benefit from a truckload of localization students?

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.