[TOS] Textbook: author attribution

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 14:28:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Karsten Wade wrote:

>> Chris, Karsten, can you have your chapter done by 2359 Wed nite?
>
> "Explaining the Code" went to 100% a few hours ago.  I got some great
> cluebats and URLs of CC-licensed content on #fedora-docs yesterday
> afternoon, so I ripped and restructure and rewrote, and am sooo much
> happier with the chapter.
>
> http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Explaining_the_Code
>
> Lana Brindley[1], whose work is remixed there now, is one of the voices
> who has been talking with university students about this topic.  I'm
> going to recommend we make this chapter the canonical location for
> such content, let us all help improve it, and teach it as we see fit.

This brings up an interesting topic, which has been a bit on my mind,
since I did much the same thing with the SVN chapter.  Attribution is made
inside the chapter, but... how will we handle authorship of this work?

The option that previously seemed most sensible to me: if you're a
chapter author or co-author, you're a co-author of the book.

We have, however, borrowed gigantic chunks.  Is attributing the authors of
these chunks in the body of the text sufficient, or do they deserve
co-authorship status?  Would they even want that?

Attribution clauses leave a ridiculous amount of room for interpretation.
:)

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.