[TOS] POSSE mailing lists creation request

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 19:25:01 UTC 2010

Now that we've flung open the POSSE registration gates, it's time to
create spaces for each class. Chris, would it be possible to fire up a
couple mailing lists?

I'd like to have these be open-archive but closed-membership, so that
only participants of that POSSE will be talking there, but so that
others can see the results of our discussions during class. It's what
we've done for individual POSSE event lists in the past (that having
been said, if you can think of a better arrangement, counterproposals
are welcome!)

Lists requested:

* posse-cmu
* posse-siliconvalley
* posse-worcester
* posse-rit
* posse-design

(someday, we may want a more regular naming scheme. Right now, given
that these lists seem to have a life of ~6mo, I'm ok with this rather
arbitrary one.)

There's one more list proposal coming - I need to wrap my head around it
a bit more. Matt Jadud suggested to this to me at dinner a few nights
ago. In short, it's a private, unarchived list that POSSE alumni can
apply to join (with a gatekeeping group of a few POSSE instructors,
perhaps), with the agreement that whatever is discussed on that list
stays on that list. The rationale is that professors need a private,
safe space to talk about blockers they're running into while trying to
teach open source.

--Mel