[TOS] Regular POSSE meetings starting next Monday
mel at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 20:16:26 UTC 2010
With POSSEs ramping up for the summer, and multiple
"the-future-of-POSSEs" conversations going on in the background, I think
it's time to have regular POSSE meetings. The program's growing and
maturing and we're learning a tremendous amount, so in the spirit of
doing things The Open Source Way, we should be doing this
program-building in an open forum.
4 quick points:
0. Each week's agenda will look like this:
* quick check-in on upcoming POSSEs
* quick check-in on "this would make a cool POSSE" ideas (potential POSSEs)
* taking any questions anyone has about POSSE in general
* and then the bulk of the time for discussion and execution on various
ideas for "the future of POSSE".
1. To kick things off, I'm going to semi-arbitrarily declare that Monday
at 19:00 EST (3pm Eastern, for me) will be the first such meeting.
2. For subsequent weeks, we'll pick a time that more interested people
can attend - if you're interested, put in your availability on
http://whenisgood.net/h4qzfm and we'll take a look at the start of
Monday's meeting and set the future meeting time.
3. All meetings will be on IRC in #teachingopensource and the meeting
will go no longer than an hour. Logs will be published to this list
right after the meeting ends.
 Some things I've heard are (1) generalizing the model to have non-RH
funding sources, (2) branching out into other disciplines such as
technical writing and the liberal arts, (3) how to better offer
resources to POSSE alumni during the school year, (3) a POSSE reunion at
SIGCSE, (4) how do we find out if POSSE is effective? and... in other
words, there's plenty to go through.
More information about the tos