[TOS] Regular POSSE meetings starting next Monday

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 20:16:26 UTC 2010

With POSSEs ramping up for the summer, and multiple
"the-future-of-POSSEs" conversations going on in the background, I think
it's time to have regular POSSE meetings. The program's growing and
maturing and we're learning a tremendous amount, so in the spirit of
doing things The Open Source Way, we should be doing this
program-building in an open forum.

4 quick points:

0. Each week's agenda will look like this:
* quick check-in on upcoming POSSEs
* quick check-in on "this would make a cool POSSE" ideas (potential POSSEs)
* taking any questions anyone has about POSSE in general
* and then the bulk of the time for discussion and execution on various
ideas for "the future of POSSE"[0].

1. To kick things off, I'm going to semi-arbitrarily declare that Monday
at 19:00 EST (3pm Eastern, for me) will be the first such meeting.

2. For subsequent weeks, we'll pick a time that more interested people
can attend - if you're interested, put in your availability on
http://whenisgood.net/h4qzfm and we'll take a look at the start of
Monday's meeting and set the future meeting time.

3. All meetings will be on IRC in #teachingopensource and the meeting
will go no longer than an hour. Logs will be published to this list
right after the meeting ends.

--Mel

[0] Some things I've heard are (1) generalizing the model to have non-RH
funding sources, (2) branching out into other disciplines such as
technical writing and the liberal arts, (3) how to better offer
resources to POSSE alumni during the school year, (3) a POSSE reunion at
SIGCSE, (4) how do we find out if POSSE is effective? and... in other
words, there's plenty to go through.