[TOS] Textbook: author attribution

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 23:52:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 02:26:52PM -0400, Jan Wildeboer wrote:
> Attribution is always a pain. Ted Nelson tried to solve it in a way that
> should have been defining, but alas ...
>
> I would definitely ask those that have been remixed. Inform them that we
> used their texts and how we plan to credit them. If s/o disagrees or wants
> it different - respect them and act accordingly.
>
> As author I would be very interested to learn who is re-using my content.
> This feedback-cycle might even help in creating better content as authors
> might have valuable updates, corrections.

I appreciated this reply from @tieguy (Luis Villa):

  @jwildeboer @quaid calling someone an author implies they had some
  say in the final outcome, which they don't here. Call them a source.

It might be easier to just make a blanket policy to follow than to ask
everyone and possibly end up with different needs that aren't
compatible.