[TOS] Textbook: frozen, final edits tomorrow

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 05:12:48 UTC 2010

We are now frozen (with the noted exception for ctyler.)  Only an hour
behind schedule.  Instead of "0.8-FREEZE", I ended up using the tag
"gregdek final content edit".

Tomorrow morning, we'll begin our final round of editing.  I think we're
good for copyedit and grammar edits, but there are some things I want to
cover specifically in our final round:

* Consistency of attribution.  Are we attributing things the same way
everywhere?  Have we done it properly and legally in each case?

* Document structure.  Are exercises properly set off as their own
elements?  Is the structure of the elements consistent across chapters?

* Internal references.  How do we create references that work in all of:
   + the wiki (hrefs?);
   + the Docbook version (xrefs?);
   + the printed version (chapter/section/subsection references?)

* Backing infrastructure.  Is all sample code in SVN (as in Jeff's Patch
chapter)?  If we recommend wiki editing, do students have what they need?

* The Instructor Guide.  Does it fill in all necessary gaps in chapters?

* General "gut feel".  Is it good enough?  If not, is there anything we
can do tomorrow to improve it?  Is there any content that we should just
drop and try again next release?

Final round of edits for this release start at 10am EDT tomorrow morning.
We'll talk through the above issues on IRC.  Hope to see you there.

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.